I am doing a vegetable plot with untreated hard wood. I am going to bury the wood half way into the ground but am concerned that it will rot. I would like to know if its necessary to treat the wood, if so how? would Creosote be suitable? Many thanks

Hi Isa

Yes, the timber will rot over time, depends upon what type of hardwood it is. The rot zone is from the ground level to about 6inches. If I was doing your project then I would have invested in rail way sleepers. To prevent rot then the timber has to be pressure treated so just brushing on something like creosote won't be that long lasting as it is just treating the surface. I can't recommend creosote as if this leaches into the soil then it going  to be bad news for veg. I was under the impression that creosote was banned, unless there is a newer safe version. Hope this helps you.



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stuart Mawle


Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.


I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.