Woodworking/African mahogany

Question
Hello, I recently bought some 8/4 African mahogany to use as a bar top in our kitchen remodel. As it turns out, it's a bit too light for my wife's taste. My question; is there a product or specific technique I can use to gain more darkness without sacrificing the beautiful ribbon character? I've heard dewaxed shellac with a few coats of polly looks great, but I'm not sure that handles the "dark" issue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Frank

Answer
Hey Frank, I would steer you towards WaterLox which is a modified Tung oil varnish product with superior penetrating power. It also has a rich deep brown color which looks gorgeous on walnut, Mahogany, Chery, etc.Because it is a penetrating finish, it hardens from within the wood fibers, and won't flake chip or peel...it can also be recoated down the line to add a layer of shine and protection with very little worry. Just clean with some 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits, and recoat.Once cure the finish coat is non toxic, and can be maintained daily with a light soap and water scrub followed by towel drying.....cure time is long from the aplication of the final coat..(weeks)...but it dries to the touch or to recoat in 24 hours. Just read ALL maufacturers warnings and instructions and start with about 3-4 coats applied, let each one sit for 5-10 minutes, then lightly and evenly wipe off with the grain, leaving a thin, even film behind. Let dry 24 hours before reapplying the next.Be aware that Mahogany will lighten with UV exposure...it's just the nature of the material...addition of a natural dye or UV inhibitorrs is possible, but try the Waterlox .....post back- regards- Greg

http://www.waterlox.com/products-item/waterlox-original-penetrating-tung-oil-flo

http://www.waterlox.com/project-help/guides/Countertops.aspx

Woodworking

Greg Scholl