Woodworking/Banister Stripping

Question
Dear Greg,

I recently elected to strip my banister, posts, and surrounding wood areas.  There were about 7 layers of paint, which the wife and I tried to chip away as much as possible, for the rest we use Citristrip. Under the paint was a clear varnish of some sort which also came off.  I noticed some areas come clean and some are left sticky.  Should I use a mineral spirit or paint thinner to remove that sticky feeling or just start to sand??

Answer
Hey Matt, you can either reapply more stripper and let it finish the job, or you can apply some mineral spirits, perhaps with a grey or maroon Scotchbrite pad and see if that removes the residue...you want it clean as can be before sanding/refinishing...be sure to let the woodwork dry a full 24 hours as well after finishing the stripping. A fan can help- regards- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl