Woodworking/Kids Chinese Lacquer folding screen

folding screen
folding screen  

Black Lacquer 4 Panel Screen Bone and Mother of Pearl. It's about 4 feet tall in good shape,the frame are hand carve , the panels are O.K. for there age , but two of the top carve panels seen better days and one of the red and black panels need some work. Is there a place I can get it fix? I was told and read that kids folding Chinese screen are rare ? Would some one buy it like this are do I need to fix it ? Is there a place that Restorations it. All so how can I upload pictures on this Yahoo Answers ? Thank you for your time.

Wow, that's a beautiful piece, finding a restorer that has experience with this type of Chinese art is probably not an easy task..I am in Connecticut, so I have no idea who to call in CA. I would contact an Antique dealer in the area that deals in Oriental goods....they will know someone...expect to spend quite a bit restoring such a thing properly, but likely a worthwhile investment. It would also be wise to inquire about an insurance estimate of value while you're at it...regards- Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.