Woodworking/production ripping

We recently acquired a contract to make survey stakes;
my question is which saw is best...a band saw or a table saw?

Hi lorne

Each type of machine has it advantages and much depends on the overall outlook. I started my workshop up from scratch so I invested into a circular saw that could cut timber and handle sheet products over purchasing a bandsaw. This was the right decision for me. Generally I can feed timber in at higher rates with the saw. The bandsaw for me does have the advantage of deeper cuts, over 12inches,  able to produce thin veneers, shape timber over the circular saw.  Crunch time, I suppose if I have got to purchase a machine which was solely going to be used for survey stake production then I would probably choose a bandsaw. You probably find it easier to put the points onto the stake, less likely to have health and safety issues. It will be important to get the right blade, probably something like a 3TPI skip tooth blade.

Hope this helps

Stuart Mawle

Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.

I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.