Woodworking/Staining bathroom cabinets

Question
Hi Greg,
I'm staining my bathroom cabinets using Varathane wood stain.  These are not the best wood cabinets, as my house was a spec house built 15 years ago.  My problem is on the back side of the cabinet doors the inset does not want to take the stain well.  I apply the stain and when I wipe off it seems to almost all come off, this is only happening in the areas around the edges.  I don't think these insets are very good wood (the cabinets were natural oak).  We have stripped the varnish off the surfaces and sanded to bare wood.  Any advise on what to do with these insets on the doors?

Answer
It's possible that the material is likely different than the rest of the construction, and therefore takes the stain differently. Many oil stains will not penetrate the same on differing surfaces, so you'll have to try a different stain on those areas, like a dye stain or something with more penetrating power. I like the General waterborne dye stains, available at Woodcraft or online...but even they may not stain these areas well....the good news is this is the back of the door...right?....post back- regards- Greg

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/CategoryPage.aspx?id=1002138&&BrandForDisplay=G

Woodworking

Greg Scholl