Woodworking/door trearttment

QUESTION: Hello...... I have a new home in Berkshire cty Ma and I have a Walnut front door exposed to the elements. I would like to treat it before the winter. It was only lightly stained , no poly.

What Oil would you recommend,  Tung, Linseed.... please advise

ANSWER: A penetrating oil will only work if it was stained with the right type of you know what it was stained with and when? If it was a typical oil stain, then it likely needs to be coated with a compatible finish, like an exterior poly or Marine type finish, unless you're willing to do the necessary prep work for a penetrating finish. A commercial penetrating finish like Waterlox, Flood CWF, Sikkens, or similar product, will give you a good, durable finish, without the peeling, flaking and typical breakdown of the film associated with a varnish or Poly...they still need upkeep and maintenance, but if done regularly, they offer many advantages....hope that helps a little, post back if need be..regards- Greg

QUESTION: It was finished about 2 .5 yrs ago with a standard minwax stain I doubt if it was oil base

Yeah the Minwax is an oil based product, but after 2.5 years it's likely barely even it's an interior product as well...a thorough cleaning and then a "scuff" sanding are likely in order, before recoating with a penetrating exterior product...depending on the condition of the door....I would NOT use pure Tung or Linseed...sorry if that wasn't clear...the newer, modified oil products offer better, longer protection without the darkening and other negative aspects of those simple oils....

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.