Woodworking/cigarbox finish

I just purchased a cigar humidor with a lacquer finish. It was  a floor model and was handled . You can see a lot of finger prints on the lid. it is a gift and I would like to clean it safely.
please advise

Hey Vin, if it is indeed just fingerprints, then you can use a good polish that has no silicones or waxes...I like Guardsman.

It can be found at most local grocery or hardware stores, too...Weimans is also good:

Just dampen a clean, soft cloth with the product, and use some elbow grease to wipe away the fingerprints and oils....follow with another clean, soft cloth to buff clean.If that does not render the results your after, then it can be polished (the verb this time), with a product like 3M's great 'One step' cleaner wax.

If that still doesn't give you joy, you can move to the next step in polishing compound 3M 39044, or possibly the rubbing compound 03900.Lacquers can be polished (the verb) like a car, and these products excel at returning the factory new look to finished surfaces, as long as the damage has not scratched deeply, or otherwise damaged the film. Hope that helps, post back if need be, Regards,

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.