Woodworking/I'm not sure what to stain/oil my doors with?

What I\'d like the door to look like
What I'd like the door  
I've recently bought some knotty pine internal doors for my new house from B&Q.
The doors are nice and just what I wanted but they are a little lighter than I wanted them to be. When I bought them, the door they had on display was a little darker and just what I wanted. When I asked the worker  in the shop he said the display door was probably just stained or oiled for display purposes but he wasn't sure what was used on  it. It was darker but a lot, it  just made all the difference.
I've had a look at different wood stains ect, but I'm really not sure what to get. I was thinking a natural pine stain but I think even that might be to dark. Now I'm thinking maybe they didn't even use a stain just some kind of oil to darken it slightly.the thing is I really done want them to look orangey at all. My doors I have now are like an antique pine and very orange and I done like that look.
I will attach some photos, one of the door and one of what colour I would like the door to look like.
Thank you for your time.

Hi Samantha, thanks for the pictures, but there's a problem with the 2nd pic...I can't see the door that well, (and not just because of the cute blonde....),it almost looks like 2 or three different things on that sense is that you're looking for that kind of stripped, antique Pine look. I would suggest looking for a furniture stripper that uses Caustic Soda (Lye). Over here I have actually smuggled in some of the liquid from the bottom of those tanks, as it's a renowned, "stain", for that 'stripped Pine" look, but no one uses those tanks over here anymore...experiment with that. on some new wood (a scrap of the same type of wood), it'll give you a starting point, and I'm sure the proprietor would do a test for you...or even know what you want to achieve, as it's likely something he knows, too. Stain can approximate it, but the other issue is natural Oxidation and color change just from UV. Exposure to light on new Pine alters it to a mellower, and darker surface. You may have even seen a Pine paneled room after someone removed a picture that was hanging there for a number of leaves a ghost of lighter likely the door your looking at is a door that's been around for a while and been exposed to life, (and UV), and it likely looks very different than it did when it was new, as well. The Lye solution will chemically change the Pine as well, colorwise. One can also re-activate the Lye in the solution to cause even more drastic change, but I don't recommend it for the novice...these changes are pretty permanent, so don't experiment on the new door.... test and formulate a plan.The door could be immersed in the stripping solution, or you can acquire some of the liquid, as a stain (but you MUST apply it quickly and evenly to the whole surface, get it all we at the same time, then rinsoe off with water) to prevent lapping and a blotchy surface...You must also protect your self when using it, even though the Lye will be weakened in solution, it is still noxious stuff. Post back and let me know if I'm on the right track- Regards- Greg  

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.