Hi Stuart, I am wondering whether you use the product Gorilla Glue to fix broken wood and how well it holds. Do you prefer using wood glue to epoxies and are there any strong wood glues that you would recommend?
Thank you.

Hi Kajan

I have heard of gorilla glue but not used it myself... It is a polyurethane based adhesive. I prefer using PVA glue as it is water based and easier to deal with. I use a particular brand but most will do the job. Just make sure you use waterproof grade, sometimes referred to an exterior grade. The product will have all the information to use and state whether it's waterproof.

You mention broke wood but it doesn't tell me enough to give detailed information. Generally, it may be necessary to nail or use screws as well the glue on a repair job. Basically hold the repair whilst the glue is curing. Done correctly the glue is three times strong than the wood itself but the screws or nails will act in a supporting measure.

Anyway, it not necessary to use an epoxy based adhesives, they are messy to handle and don't often have long before they set. I use epoxy type glues for different materials like metal to wood.

Hope this helps you.



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stuart Mawle


Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.


I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.