Woodworking/Planing bamboo sticks

I have some bamboo that I have split into rough sticks. The sticks are about 2' x 1/2" x 1/8" (more or less). Being bamboo, there are knots every foot or so. There is a curve on the 1/2" axis, because the sticks were made from a bamboo pole.

Can you suggest an approach to turning these sticks into nicely flat, milled pieces?

Thank you,

bamboo topped table
bamboo topped table  
Hey Jim, sorry about the very late reply...for some reason I did not get notified of your pending question. I am not familiar with any easy method of flattening Bamboo strips, other than possibly after they are glued down to a flat substrate...I have seen that done on Oriental furniture as pictured....but never in any other application. Also, once you plane through the glossy, tough outer layer, Bamboo is rather stringy and porous, and so finishing becomes an issue if you're going to do that, unless you remove that outer layer completely from ALL the pieces, uniformly. What's your application for these strips? I have recently installed an "engineered" Bamboo floor product, which is super tough and beautiful, but this is an engineered product where the Bamboo is totally bound, through and through, by a resin product of some type...and was very tough on my Carbide saw blades. Please post back, again pardon the late reply -Regards- Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.