Woodworking/Wood Ceiling Registers

I have a wood tongue and groove ceiling and want wood ceiling registers.  The color of the ceiling is 'Expresso' over pine, making the color a light tan or yellowish tan.

It has been suggested that, due to the humidity here in Florida, I have the registers made of teak.  However, the color of teak does not match well.

Can you recommend another wood that, either in its natural state or stained, will better match my existing ceiling's color while resisting warping?

Thanks, Jim

Hey Jim sorry about the late reply, for some reason I was not notified of your pending question. There are many species available, and several of them will be moisture resistant, but all will eventually succumb to UV light, oxidation, etc...changing the appearance from new. Check this site for an overview, including custom vents from many species.Something natural will always weather better than something stained and finished in my opinion, but all will change over time, just the nature of a natural material.... Hope that helps a little- post back if need be- Regards- Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.