Woodworking/finishes/ varnish

Question
Hello :
I built a plywood work table.
Not certain how to finish the work surface.

If I put a strain onto the wood, can I also varnish it ?
I would prefer a matte or satin varnish.

Can varnish go onto a stained surface ?

Answer
Hi James, absolutely you can varnish the surface....any good varnish will work, and I recommend at least 2-3 coats. One of my favorite products is Generals Gel Wipe On Satin Polyurethane, for ease of application, predictable dry times, and durability, as well as  being able to easily clean, lightly sand, and recoat to renew the surface down the road. It is listed as a Satin gloss level, but it does tend to be a bit more semi gloss after 2-3 coats....but a fool proof, excellent product that can be applied with a simple pad made from some t-shirt or flannel material, and the Gel stains are in a urethane carrier as well, and are excellent. Another good choice would be an oil finish if you desire less of a "film" finish that doesn't sit on top of the wood, like the Watco or Waterlox. These are penetrating oil finishes that sink into the wood and harden from within. The penetration on stained (sealed) plywood will be minimal, but still would afford some protection, won't ever chip, flake, or peel, and can also be reapplied to renew the surface anytime.They also don't fill the grain as the Gel varnish will, leaving a more matte surface, (until you apply more than 4 coats or so, then it starts to "build" like a surface finish). Just read and follow the manufacturers directions, precautions, etc. (as ALWAYS), They take about 24 hours per coat to dry, and quite a bit longer to fully cure, whereas the General product dries substantially faster, (4-12 hours), and please feel free to post back anytime.
Regards- Greg

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005555/16557/General-Finishes-Clear-Satin-Topc

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004209/8538/Waterlox-Original-Sealer-Finish-Qu

http://www.lowes.com/pd_81303-90-000000000000065751_0__?productId=3153399

Woodworking

Greg Scholl