Woodworking/Redoing woodwork: matching gloss of new and old finish

Question
There is a gloss difference between the existing pine sash and sill woodwork I'm NOT refinishing and the parts that I just refinished.   Winter frost accumulation over time has made this necessary.  It is now evident that the original 17 year-old satin finish has dulled over time. I think it is poly.

Last week [after sanding and staining] put on Minwax polyurethane clear satin [oil base]. I can't find any oil base matte finish to mix with the satin to dull down the shine. Do I let it harden for a month and try wet sanding with super fine paper or steel wool or a 3m scotch pad?  I do not want a bunch of scratches or swirling marks. Does turpentine applied now make any difference? I'm afraid that a water based matte product will be too dull.  Is this hopeless?  Thanks for your wisdom.

Answer
Hi Marti, sorry for the late reply...were you sure to stir the can really well before , and during your application?...the flattener must be dispersed evenly throughout the urethane to be uniform, and as flat as it should be. If the other woodwork is in good shape you can just clean it with something like 0000 steel wool and some mineral spirits, and then coat it with the same poly. Fine steel wool will knock down the gloss, but it's a pain to have to rub everything after the application, and visible marks is a possibility. Better to coat it all with the same product and leave it "off the brush" as it were..also,the better waterborne urethanes are very good products like:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2083236/36039/HP-Polyurethane-Top-Coat-Flat-Qua

or:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_456846-90-271638_0__?productId=4570132

I swear buy the General products, very high quality, dry predictably and a step above the ubiquotous, consumer grade, "Yellow" can sold every where...(Minwax)
Hope that helps- Please post back if need be- Regards- Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl