Woodworking/Protective clear coat

Question
I am redoing an old school teachers desk for use in my craft room. The desk top needs to stand the test of abuse it with endure as I'm sure things will be dropped/spilled on it so I need it to be an easy clean up. My plan is to adhere an old world map to the desk top and put a clear protective finish on it. I was leaning towards a pour on epoxy but I don't want something that scratches easily either. What clear coat would you suggest for this? Thanks in advance!

Answer
An epoxy will be the toughest finish you can apply, will not scratch easily, and is pretty much impervious to anything...including ever refinishing the desk. Once applied, it cannot be removed, ever...it is possible to scratch or gouge it, but not easily, and it can be repaired and/or recoated...if you want toughness, it is the toughest, and will flow over the map and leave a smooth clear non yellowing finish. Having said that, doing a large piece with an epoxy finish can be a little tricky if you have never attempted this before..here's a link to the System 3 website, and there is a video in the page that describes the process of Mirror Coat. Hope that helps a little - post back if need be- Regards- Greg

http://www.systemthree.com/projects-bartop-coating.asp

Woodworking

Greg Scholl