Woodworking/router bits

hi there
I'm new to using a router and I've tried a roundover bit but the bearing on the bit broke off any idea why.i set up my fence level with the bearing and was getting a perfect cut but bearing got hot and broke off.was I trying to cut too much at once?

Hi Terry

The bearing just fail more likely. It happened to me recently when I was teaching a routering in a college. The bearing seizes and lock up so the whole bearing is spinning at 20,000 rpm with the cutter. There no free movement so when ithe bearing comes into contact with the timber heat builds up. Not exactly sure how the router bearing is constructed but I presume the excess heat  distroys the bearing internals leading to it breaking up. The router bit I used that day was part of a value set so I put it down to that as it never happened with my router bits in the workshop. I tend to buy brand name often indivual cutters when the need arises. Replacement bearings for router cutters are available to buy, try

I find there is tendency to try to cut more that a router cutter/timber can cope with. I have gotten into a habit of doing atleast two passes which gives me a quality finish on mouldings, grooves and rebates. Watch the cutter/timber to see what is happening as you router. If you notice splintering pieces coming off then I would advise to go with two passes. If you are getting shavings then it's ok. A lot depends upon the timber you are working with. Joinery softwoods tend to cope better when machining/routering than hardwoods. Most of my work is using American White Oak which can be challenging when routering. If I was to router too much off on a tricky some piece of American White Oak then it's likely to result in tearing out, ruined unless you are prepared to wood fill it (I hate wood filler).

Anyway, I hope this helps you.

Stuart Mawle

Now been a carpenter & joiner for the past twenty years in the UK. I can give avice / help on carpentry & joinery, health & safety, woodworking machinery, power tools and suppliers.

I have served an indentured carpentry apprenticeship with a medium sized building contractor doing a wide range of domestic and commercial work. This has included office buildings, barn conversions, building extensions and renovations. During my career, I spent over three years as a wood trades technician at a college. My job involved joinery work, wood maching and helping CITB carpentry & joinery students` pratical projects. Spent three years as a accredited NVQ assessor covering site carpentry and bench joinery. Now I teach my skills to others.

Institute of carpenters

I have city and guild qualifications in site carpentry and purpose made joinery. An indentured apprenticeship Hold the equivalent of a master craftsman status.