Woodworking/New Table Top Problems

Question
Table Top
Table Top  

Table Top
Table Top  
Hi Greg, I have a new dining table that is giving me grief. Fabric will stick to the finish and actually ruin it.  This has happened several times now with a table runner and a place mat.  No food or drink is being placed on the runner or mat. Nothing wet at all.  The finish on the table is beautiful and it is smooth and dry to the touch.  I have not used any cleaners or polishes on it.  The table runner had a satin like finish so I didn't think it would be a problem but it stuck in one very small place.   It does not buff out completely and you can feel and see the mark. It looks as tho something dissolved or melted into the  finish.  I truly do not understand this. The table top is walnut veneers in a  sunburst pattern and an ebony black inlay border with light burnishing. Iíve gone back to reviews for the table and found nothing negative.  Would you have any idea as to why this is happening? And what can I do to prevent it? I couldn't quite capture the marks with the camera but I have attached a pic of the table top.  Thank You in Advance for your  time.

Answer
Hi Marcia, how aggravating this is!....if the runner is made from a man made fiber, (like polyester,Rayon, etc), or if they used something in the dying process or finishing process of the cloth, there is a possibility that the fabric is reacting with the finish and causing a chemical reaction...a chemical "burn" if you will. But that's unlikely...if you're placing weight on top of the runner, the increased contact areas could be enhancing this process as well. That's the only thing I can think of, as the table looks very nice, and I'm sure the manufacturer is using an industry standard type of finish. Have you approached them about the issue?....I would stick with natural fabrics for placemats and runners, (likely harder to do) and see what they can offer as a suggestion. Please keep me informed, as I'm interested to hear what they may say.
Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl