Hi have walnut tress on my property. I would like to cut some down and use to get made into a table and barn doors. What is my first step? There are local lumbers here but do they need to dry it first? I need some guidance on what to even ask them to do first. All I have are the trees still in ground.

Hi Heidi, live trees are quite a bit of work to turn into stable, dry lumber....you would need to seek out a lumbermill that has experience doing this successfully...and they need to have a kiln to dry the lumber. The first step is a consultation with someone in the know, perhaps someone like this:

A few Google searches can yield a lot of information, and it appears that there are a few mills and harvesters in your area.  As you've probably figured out, this is an expensive proposition as well. you might find a mill that would take a cut of the lumber as payment....dried furniture grade Walnut lumber is very expensive to buy,(upwards of $6-7 a board foot), and if yours is Black Walnut, or English Walnut of good/large size,(18" diameter and larger), then the logs can be worth thousands. The major gun manufacturers prize it for rifle stocks, especially if it's figured, and furniture makers prize it as well.It is hugely labor intensive to harvest the trees, move them, saw them, and dry them, and so you will definitely need to seek out someone who will treat you fairly, and that has a proven record of handling this type of transaction professionally, safely, and fairly. I'm not sure how easy that will be, but certainly the first step is a consultation or two, or three with these type of operations.......you may find resistance if the trees are few in number, are along a property line, or in an urban setting (the risk for embedded metal increases), or the trees are too small, damaged, or otherwise not worth the effort....
Hope that was a little help, post back if need be, and keep us posted on how it goes, as I am quite interested in what you might find out.

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.