Woodworking/wooden ladder

Question
Hello Stuart,
I have an old wooden ladder in my house, used to access a sleeping/storage platform. It has wooden rungs (oblong in cross section, no metal wire) and they are loose as the little wedges pushed in the sides of the tenon presumably have dried. Would leaving it outside in the rain for a while be likely to work?

Answer
Hi Andrew

The short answer is yes but it won't fix the problem. What will happen is that it will swell then as soon as it's back inside the joints will dry out again. The constant wetting and drying will do more harm to the wood and the ladder. What I would recommend is use a product called Veritas chair doctor glue. It would work a treat. It comes in a kit and you inject the liquid glue into the joint. The product makes the joint swell, tightening and stabilising to prevent shrinkage. I have provided a link to the product.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VERITAS-114ml-CHAIR-DOCTOR-REPAIR/dp/B00DHHRGFA

Usually when I do repairs involving wedges I often find that I cut slightly thicker wedges and glue them in with a PVA type glue. I hope this helps you.

Stuart Mawle

Woodworking

Stuart Mawle