Woodworking/What is this?

wood 2
wood 2  
I purchased this at an estate sale,it is about 3 feet high, weighs 115 lbs,was told it was Chinese pear wood by the people running the estate sale .Do you know what this is? What type of wood it could be.How would i care for it,it is absolutely beautiful.I have enclosed 2 pics have more if needed.Thank you for your expertise

Hi Judy, that is an odd object, and it looks like a natural root section from a tree. It also looks like it has some type of thick, gloss finish on it, perhaps an epoxy type finish..I suppose it's just a "natural" object meant to be a sort of free form, natural sculpture. It's impossible to make a guess about the wood type from could be Pear, and it could be tested if you must know...but it could be any number of species. The biggest threat to this object, and any other wooden object, is extremes in humidity, too much, or too little.You should maintain the humidity level above 25% or so where you will display the piece, and an inexpensive Hygrometer...available at most hardware/houseware stores....will give you your relative humidity levels at a glance in any given space....and doing so will have benefits to your health,pets health, as well as the other objects in your living space...wooden objects, leather, paper, textiles, etc..Maintaining proper humidity can be a chore however, depending on the climate you live in, time of year, etc. Keep the piece clean, vacuum occasionally with a brush attachment, and you could dust with Endust or an oil based polish like Guardsman, Weimans, etc., once or twice a year, applied to a clean rag and then rubbed on AND OFF thoroughly...NOT Pledge, which contains Silicones. Hope that helps a little- Please post back.
Regards- Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.