Woodworking/Making a sign...

Question
I am trying to make a sign for a gift.   I got the wood from my father in law and it is has a smooth glossy finish.  Will I be able to paint on it?  I am afraid it will not take to such a glossy finish.  
I thought of buying small wood letters, painting them and then glue them on but they are hard to find in my neck of woods.  
If the glossy finish is a problem, should I rough up the area to be painted with sandpaper, then paint it?  Just a thought.
Thanks for your time.

Answer
Hi Tammy, sorry for the late reply...for some reason the system is not notifying me of pending questions. If it has a glossy varnish or Poly on it, then yes, you should sand the gloss off lightly, maybe with some 320-400 grit wet/dry sand paper. That will give the surface some "tooth" for the paint to grab....wooden letters are available in LOTS of places on the internet, (Google search "wooden letters"), or at a good crafts store. Hope that helps a little, please post back if need be.
Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl