Woodworking/old spool cabinate dry and split

Question
front of chest
front of chest  

top of chest
top of chest  
I have inherited this spool chest which has been out in the shed for years. I am reluctant to do much. My father, now passed, was an advocate for raw linseed oil and I remember him soaking old towels in linseed oil and maybe something else and wrapping the item, letting it sit for weeks to absorb the oil. Everything I read does not advocate this. I don't want to ruin this keepsake. what do I do?
Thanks for all your time and help.

Answer
spool chest
spool chest  
Hi Ann, that's in pretty bad shape, and yes I also would not do anything with linseed oil for a variety of reasons, especially raw linseed oil which does not dry.(and is a spontaneous combustion hazard on rags)...it's a nice little chest and a professional Restorer could likely bring it back, remove and re-glue the top, and do a complete restoration on the rest, and refinish...but that depends on the budget,(likely a few hundred dollars), and the "look" you're after. It looks to me like its got large nails driven through the top,there are stains, the bottom drawer appears to be missing the front piece (hard to tell from the photo), and the overall condition is not good....so it's pretty far gone, condition wise. Some people like the "original" look of such a piece, and therefore you could just accept it in the condition it's in, and clean it as best you can, lightly sand it with some fine sand paper, (320-400 grit),vacuum it off with a brush attachment, and then apply a proper oil finish (a drying oil), like WaterLox or Formby's Tung Oil finish. 2-3 coats applied as per the directions...let dry for a week or so, then paste wax it, maybe with a dark colored paste wax which would give it a bit of patina and accentuate the age and wear. Feel free to post back, it really depends on what you want it to look like...in it's Hey Day, it was really a piece of well crafted furniture, and would have had a nice finish on it, no cracks in the top, polished hardware, etc...very, very far from it's current condition....I've enclosed a picture of one in better shape that I recently restored...it cost the customer about $185 to have me do the job, BUT it was in quite a bit better shape than yours to start.Regards, Greg  

Woodworking

Greg Scholl