Woodworking/Partial waterproofing of sculpture

Hi Greg, I'm the Hybrid Vehicles expert, here asking for a non-wired friend.  He came to me because I have made wood-epoxy boats, and he is wondering how to treat a large sculpture he is carving and constructing.  It is something like a fat pillar made like a stockade by attaching sticks and poles to wooden disks about 4' across.  He wants to keep it in a natural stained finish, and intends to do enough maintenance that it would not go grey, but it will get a long winter and hot summer with frequent showers.  We are wondering about preserving the end grain on the tops of the poles, and the top of the top disk with something waterproof but otherwise unobtrusive.  I advised him that epoxy coating never re-works without showing, and that coating one side of the top disk would likely cause severe warping and/or checking.  What would you recommend?

Hey Bob, thanks for being a fellow volunteer and thanks for the question. I am of the opinion that such a piece should be finished with a penetrating type stain/finish, like those used in the Decking world, or similar. I have some experience with the Flood products, like the CWF-UV (all very high quality), and also am a fan of the Waterlox line of modified Tung oil finishes. See the links below, and check out these sites as they have a lot of information and are well designed,.. and feel free to post back if need be, or have him post. These finishes penetrate into the wood cells and then harden , and offer a few benefits such as never flaking, chipping, or peeling, and the ability to re-coat every so often to refresh the "look" and the durability/ water resistance.
Regards, Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.