Woodworking/Small nails & power tool

Question
I am working on a project where I need to hammer a lot of 17g wire nails into a board, I need the nails to protrude and not go all the way through the board. Is there a power tool I can use to make the hammering easier? I was thinking a drill but can not figure out if there is a drill bit one size smaller than my nails or a staple gun but not sure if any have a depth adjustment that will allow the nails to not go through the wood. My board is 1/2 inch thick

Answer
Hi Jen

I don't think you are going to find a power tool to help you with your situation. You can get a smaller diameter drill bit than your nails but there is likely risk for breaking even using it In conjunction like a pillar drill.

I don't know what head size your nails are but I had a hand pin pusher. It is great for small diameter panel pin which would be around 16/17g. I gently tap with a hammer. Along as the head fits in the barrel it will work. There is a link below to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/model-craft-pin-pusher-with-adjustable-depth-stop-r58t

Hope it helps you.

Stuart

Woodworking

Stuart Mawle