Woodworking/Minwax Fast Dry not Drying / Curing

Question
500 sq ft Brand new hardwood floor, put down, Stain was Minwax special walnut stirred well, 2 coats of Satin Minwax Fast Dry Poly, after 5 days called minwax due to top being able to be pushed off stain, Minwax said 30 day cure time, at 30 days still not cured and the house stinks even with recommended fans going all the time. August in Pa, not cold or damp???
Second call to Minwax, They refunded my money and told me to resand the floor, I asked them if there was another product to seal over this one, they couldn't say, but said many people have the same problem. What can I put over this product to try to seal in the smell?

Answer
Hey Joe was this an Oak strip floor?...Pine?...I'm assuming unfinished and freshly sanded....sounds like a classic case of the stain applied too heavily, and not allowed to fully dry before the first coat of poly..Minwax stain is very finicky, and many people mistakenly believe they can achieve a dark affect by applying it heavily and it's not the case...it needs to be wiped OFF between coats VERY well, and each coat allowed to dry FULLY before the next. Most flooring guys rush this process, and this and always leads to problems with adhesion and drying. Please post back with more details....but that's what it sounds like to me.

Hey Joe, sorry it ended up that way, but I still stick by my original theory...the stain was not dry enough, or applied too heavily (dark)...and yes, while polyurethanes will dry to the touch rather quickly, they take 30 days or more to fully harden...or cure. Your issue was adhesion to the stain though, and delayed curing because of the stain...you didn't say how long you let the stain dry, or your staining schedule...but Minwax stains are notorious for these issues...dry time, and adhesion problems, it's a very common theme. I have been working with stains for over 30 years and I do not use Minwax oil stains...period, and do NOT recommend them, specifically for those issues.
Sorry you felt as though I deserved a "5", but hope you solved the issue anyway.
Regards, Greg

Woodworking

Greg Scholl