Woodworking/Wood door splitting and needs repair

We recently bought a rehabbed 1920's bungalow near Chicago. The front door is solid wood and looks like it dates from the 1970's or so. I don't think it's supposed to be an exterior door, and there's no storm door. But it's a cool door and we'd like to keep it. However it's splitting around the lock and I'm wonder if it's repairable or if we should just replace it. Would appreciate your input. See pictures. Thanks.

Hi Christine, that looks like damage from someone trying to break from kicking the door...but it would have to be looked at closely, as the strange colored paint on the edge is also suspect...probably hiding more damage/'s an odd door...but if you like it, I'd have it evaluated by a Pro carpenter or locksmith,to see if it's sound, and to see if it has, in fact been repaired.They should do that for you at no charge.They should be able to dope it out for you rather quickly. I'm skeptical...and a new door might be a better choice if it's in the budget..Please feel free to post back.
Regards, Greg

Greg Scholl

Questions on Woodworking, wood finishing and refinishing of all kinds, repairing furniture and wooden objects,Architectural details, Woodturning, carving, tool usage, product usage, some chemistry as it applies to woodworking and related interests,cabinet making and furniture construction/design, etc. I have experience with all manners of colorants, finishes, paints, stains, dyes, glazes, and coatings,wood species recognition,usage,etc.

Fine furniture restorer and cabinet maker for over 30 years,serving high end Antique dealers, Interior designers, Collectors in the CT area. Sold, built, serviced, setup Home,Industrial and Commercial stationary woodworking tools for a major tool retailer in CT. for three years, sold hand and power tools, and offered instruction on use and care as well.I even have some Trade show Demo experience.

none at this time.

Published in Fine Woodworking Magazine (12/97), included on Fine Woodworkings first "Best of Fine Woodworking" CD-ROM (2002)-("27 year compilation of expert know-how"),Multiple times in Family Handyman Magazine, local newspapers as well.

Art School at Silvermine Guild in Norwalk, CT., 9 year apprenticeship in a European run Cabinet and Restoration shop in CT., various classes on subjects having to do with the field. Seminars by Major tool manufacturers, Delta, Powermatic, Performax, Porter Cable, Skil/Bosch to name a few.

Many varied clients including work on Martha Stewarts' Westport, CT. show house, many fine Antique dealers and private collectors in and around Fairfield County and in Woodbury, CT.(the Antiques capital of CT.)
Consulting for area Painting/Decorating and Building contractors on non painting issues..(staining, wood prep.,clear finishing, floor restoration and architectural detail restoration and repair, etc.), local Museums and Historical Societies.For the last two years I have been employed with Schwenke Auctioneers Inc.- Woodbury Auction LLC., as a staff photographer,IT tech,and doing restoration and repair work as well.