Word Problems/linear, inequalities, graphs

TheRealJonDuran wrote at 2013-01-06 21:22:19
correction* the problem says "she needs to make AT LEAST $300"

So the revenue (the left side of the equation) needs to be GREATER OR EQUAL TO. from there we get:

15x + 12y >(or equal to) 300

from this we can derive the x-int which is 20 and the y-int which is 25 by substituting (0,y) and (x,0). Further we can rewrite in y-int form with some simple algebra and we get:

y>(or equal to)-5/4x + 25.

so far we have

x-int: 20

Slope: -5/4

When we graph the inequality and we substitute the origin we see that the "top side" of the boundary (which is included in the solution set) is the shaded area. I hope this was helpful  

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.