Word Problems/Business math word problem

pvdtables wrote at 2013-05-25 13:41:45
If you don't like fractions and don't have to use fractions to solve this problem, converting to minutes seems like a much easier, more intuitive way to do this problem.  

If the total time is 3 1/4 hours, that is three hours and 15 minutes, or 195 minutes.

If the truck traveled 1/5 of the way, you want to know what 1/5 of the total time is.  So you divide the total time by 5.

195/5 = 39 minutes

So it has traveled 39 minutes.  Subtract the time it has traveled from the total time (195 - 39) = 156 minutes left to go.  

156 minutes is 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.