Word Problems/Clinical Math

I am completely lost on what the problem is asking me. The very first question is:

"How many grams are needed to make 300mL of a 3.20M solution of HCl?"

I know the GAM of HCl is 36.46094 grams, and 3.20 mols of that would be 116.675008 grams. I am not sure what to do next. It would help maybe if I knew which is the solvent, solute, or an attribute of the total solution. I already handed this homework in and got it back with the request that I do corrections on it for a much higher grade, and I am stuck on the first question even though I now have all the answers listed. 35g should be the answer, but I have no idea how to come up with that.

From what I know, GAM is for the Gram Atomic Mass.  I found it here:

If 3.2 moles of HCl is 116.675008 grams, that is how much would be needed in a liter of water.
Since we only have 300 mL, that is 3/10 of a liter.  Multiplying 116.675008 grams by 3/10
gives 35 grams (35.0025, so just round).

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.