Word Problems/Help Quadratic Equation Word Problem

A projectile is launched directly upwards and its height, H metres above the ground is given by H=20t-5t where t is the time in seconds. After how many seconds will the projectile be 20 metres about the ground?

When the height is 20, that means H = 20.
This gives the equation 20 = 20t - 5t.
Adding 5t - 20t to both sides gives 5t - 20t + 20 = 0.
Dividing by 5 gives t - 4t + 4 = 0.
Factoring gives (t-2)(t-2) = 0.

The solution is where t-2 = 0, or at t=2.
Putting that back in gives 20(2) - 5(2) = 40 - 5*4 - 40 - 20 = 20,
so that's the right answer.  

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.