Word Problems/Math Word Problem: Age

A man is 42 years old and his daughter is 8. In how many years will the father be twice as old as his daughter?

- I've tried doing this:

(But 42+25=67, and 8+25=33 ; so 67/33 is a decimal)

I'm not quite sure exactly how to solve for it and get an exact number without any decimals.

Sorry about the delay, but I haven't been able to get on the PC over the last few days.

The numbers of years that will pass is x.
The age of the father will be 42+x and age of his daughter will be 8+x.

It says at this point, the father will be twice as old, so we get 42+x = 2(8+x).
Multiplying the right side out gives 42+x = 16+2x.
Adding -x-16 to both sides gives 26 = x.

At this point, the daughter will be 34 and the dad will be 68.

If you want a different way to do this, use a spreadsheet.
In A1, put 8.
In B1, put 42.
In A2, put =A1+1.
In B2, put =B2+1.
In C2, put =B2/B1.
Highlight rows 2 through 30, columns A through C, and do an edit-fill-down.
In row 27, there should be a 2 in column C.  The two ages are found in columns A and B.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.