Word Problems/Algebra Word Problem

Question
a) A bus leaves the bus terminal with y passengers. When the bus comes to the first stop, 3/5 of the passengers get off and 4 passengers get on. Write an expression in y for the number of passengers on the bus when it leaves the first stop.
b)At the second stop, 1/4 of the passengers leave the bus and 9 passengers get on. If the number of passengers on the bus now is only half that when the bus left the bus terminal, find the value of y.

Answer
The number of the bus originally was y.
After the 1st stop, the number is 2y/5 + 4.  I believe this looks like the answer to (a).

At the 2nd stop, 1/4 leave.  That leaves (3/4)(2y/5 + 4) = 3y/10 + 3.
The original number was y, so half that  many is y/2.
The equation is then 3y/10 + 3 = y/2.
Multiplying each term by 10 gives 3y + 30 = 5y.
Subtracting 3y from both sides gives 30 = 2y.
Dividing both sides by 2 gives 15 = y.

So, the answer to (b) is  y = 15.  

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson