Word Problems/Compound Proportions

The following is an example as to how to solve a compound proportion.  

Quantity 1----Quantity 2----Quantity 3

If quantity 1 and quantity 2 are [directly related] and quantity 2 and quantity 3 are also [directly related], then use the following rule:

(a X b)/c = (d X e)/?

If 195 men working 10 hours a day can finish a job in 20 days. How many men employed are needed to finish the job in 15 days if they work 13 hours a day?

20 X 10 X 195 = 15 X 13 X ?

(20 X 10 X 195)/(15 X 13) = ?

I can see by what is shown above that the days decrease and the hours increase. Is this "directly related" and/or "indirectly related" information? So using this information, how can it solve this by using the calculation (20 X 10 X 195)/(15 X 13) = ?

I thank you for your reply.

Yes, that's the correct way to do it.
By the way, the 15 is 5x3, so 20/5 =4 and 195/3 = 65.
This is then 4 x 10 x 65 / 15.
Now 10/15 = 2/3, so we have 4 x 2 x 65 / 3 = 8 x 65 / 3 = 520/3 = 173 1/3.

This is the number of men, which is suppose to be an integer,
so round up to 174 to make sure it gets done on time.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.