Word Problems/math help

Hi, I am a consultant and get paid how the hour. My rate is $25/hr. I don't know what the company actually charges clients for my services.

The company has agreed to pay me 60% in the future - this implies that whatever they're charging clients now is higher than $25.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that $25/hr is less than 60% of Y (Y being my actual pay, but I don't know what it is), what must Y be at the least?

This will help me negotiate my rate.

The 60% will result in a raise over $25/hour, but we cannot make any assumptions about the current distribution. You may be getting 60% right now, which means your raise will come solely from an increase in your billing rate. Both you and the company will get more, even though the distribution has not changed.

If the company has decided to raise your pay by a more favorable distribution then, yes, $25 < 60% of Y, so Y > $41.66 per hour.
However, this would result in a decrease in the company's revenue—which is difficult to justify. To avoid this, any change in distribution would probably be accompanied by an increase in your billing rate.

So, you can't be sure what your share of the billing is. But you do know that you are getting a raise, so congratulations on a job well done!  

Word Problems

Janet Yang

Word problems are my favorite type of math questions! I would not feel comfortable answering questions that require specialized knowledge (Physics, Statistics, etc.) because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Master of Business Administration degree from The Wharton School.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.