Word Problems/please help me :(

During a sale, the price of a sweater was marked 1/4 off the original price of $45. using a coupon, a customer received an additional 1/5 off of the sale price. how much did the person pay?

"the price of a sweater was marked off the original price of $45"
The sweater is off, so the sale price is 1 - = of the original price
sale price = of $45
       = 0.75 $45
       = $33.75

"a customer received an additional ⅕ off of the sale price"
The customer paid 1 - ⅕ = ⅘ of the sale price.
payment = ⅘ of $33.75
      = 0.8 $33.75
      = $27

Word Problems

Janet Yang

Word problems are my favorite type of math questions! I would not feel comfortable answering questions that require specialized knowledge (Physics, Statistics, etc.) because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Master of Business Administration degree from The Wharton School.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.