Word Problems/A basic math prob for u

A Lion runs 50 mph in pursuit of a Zebra running at 40 mph.  If the initial distance between them was a quarter of a mile, how long will it take the Lion to catch the Zebra?
 Isn't the answer  1.25 ?

The lion runs 10 mph faster.

That means in one hour, he could gain 10 miles.

Dividing both by ten give in one tenth of an hour, he would gain 1 mile.

Dividing both by four gives in one fortieth of an hour, he would gain 1/4 mile.

To see what one fortieth of an hour is, multiply by 60 minutes.
That is, 60/4 = 15 minutes.

Sorry, zebra, but as things are now, you've only got 15 minutes to live.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.