Word Problems/Math

1) Max drove for 3 hours before lunch. After lunch he drove 4 more hours and averaged 15 mph more than before lunch. If his total distance was 410 miles, then what was his average speed before lunch?

2)Becca has 15 coins consisting of dimes and nickels. The total value of the coins is $0.95. How many of each does she have?

3)Sam invested some money at 6% simple interest and some money at 10% simple interest.In the second investment he put $1000 more than he put in the first. If the income from both investments for 1 year was $340, then how much did he invest at each rate?

1) Take the speed before lunch as x mph.
This means the total distance would be 3x + 4(x+15) = 3x + 4x + 60 = 7x + 60.
Since we are given that this is 410 miles, we have 7x + 60 = 410.
Subtract 60 from both sides, giving only a 7x on the left side.
Divide both sides by 7 and get answer that sounds good for a car.

2) If she has 15 coins that are dimes and nickels, assume that there are x dimes.
If all the coins were nickels, the value would be 15*5c = 75c.
Given that we have x dimes, each dime increase that value by 5c, so the total value is 75 + 5x.

The equation is then 75 + 5x = 95,
To solve, subtract 75 from both sides, giving 5x = 20.
Divide both sides by 5, and that is the number of dimes.

3) Sam invested x at 6%.  He invested x+1000 at 10%.
This means that the total earned is 0.06x + 0.10(x+1000) = 0.06x + 0.10x + 100.
That is the same as 0.16x + 100.  If that is $340, that means 0.16x + 100 = 340.
If 100 is subtracted from both sides, that should gives 0.16x = 240.

Divide both sides by 0.16, and then you will have the value for x.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.