Word Problems/Percent Definition

Question
Hello:

I have the following as a definition for "percent."

"Percent means "per hundred" which means the proportion is measured from 0 to 100."

If some other word could replace "proportion" in the above definition what would it be?  Would "whole" be correct?

When I think of proportion, I think of two fractions separated by an equal sign, as in a/b = c/d.

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
I disagree with the definition you were given. Percent does indeed mean "per hundred," but a percentage is not limited to 0 through 100.
For example, if you have a sales goal of 30 books and you sell 60 books, you have sold 200% of your goal.

A percentage is simply the numerator of a fraction or ratio with a denominator of 100.
1/2 = 50/100 = 50%
25% = 25/100 = 1/4

Word Problems

Janet Yang