Word Problems/Percentage Definition

I have the following as a definition for "percent."

"Percent means "per hundred" which means the proportion is measured from 0 to 100."

If some other word could replace "proportion" in the above definition what would it be?  Would "whole" be correct?

When I think of proportion, I think of two fractions separated by an equal sign, as in 1/2 = 2/4.

I thank you for your reply.

When a percent is used, only one number is seen.  It should be written as a number, followed by a percent symbol.  Occasionally, it will be referred to as a percent and no symbol is needed.
If the total is clearly 100, then a percent symbol is also left out if not needed.
Example: 13 percent = 13%; 65 percent = 65%; the division is 60-40 (which is 60% and 40%).
A percentage only requires one number for each percentage involved.

When a ratio is used, it is a comparison between two numbers.
If there are 10 apples and 15 bananas, the ratio is 10:15.
Since these two numbers are both divisible by 5, it could also be written as 2:3.
This would mean the 1st one took up 2/5 of the total and the 2nd one took up 3/5 of the total.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.