Word Problems/7th grade math problem

Question
The record for the Boston Marathon's wheelchair division is 1hour, 18 minutes and 27 seconds.  The BOSTON MARATHON IS 26.2 MILES long.  What was the average speed of the record winner of the wheelchair division? At this rate about how long would it take this competitor to complete a 30 mile race?

Answer
Assuming you want the speed in miles per hour, first convert the time units to hours.
27 seconds 1 minute/60 seconds 1 hour/60 minutes = 0.0075 hour
18 minutes 1 hour/60 minutes = 0.3 hour
1 hour, 18 minutes and 27 seconds = 1 + 0.3 + 0.0075 = 1.3075 hours

26.2 miles/1.3075 hours = (26.2/1.3075) miles/hour ≅ 20 miles per hour
The average speed of the winner was 20 miles per hour.
:::::
30 miles 1 hour/20 miles = 1.5 hours
It would take 1 hour and 30 minutes to travel 30 miles at 20 miles per hour.

Word Problems

Janet Yang