Word Problems/math improvement

Question
Hello Ms. Yang I was always poor in school and so I decided to write a book to encourage fathers to be better parents. What can parents do to help their do better when they can't do math?  2nd - I would like to learn how to do word problems that are often seen on entry level job apps.  ex: if car a is going 65mph how for two hrs how long will it take to get to point b? I never know how to figure out simple word problems can you help?

Answer
The parents' math skills should not be an issue. If a parent doesn't know how his kid is doing in school, it's due to lack of interest, not lack of math skill. He can still go over every homework assignment and quiz and ensure the child is caught up with coursework. It is important that that child never falls behind in class. If he doesn't understand a topic, he needs to ask for help IMMEDIATELY, not wait and hope that he'll understand it in time. Kids don't like to ask for help (or they're afraid to admit they don't understand), so parents have to make sure it happens.
:::::
As for how to solve word problems—that is too general a topic. I can help with specific questions.

J.

Word Problems

Janet Yang