Word Problems/Percentages

I have seen the following quotation in a textbook regarding changing decimals or numbers to percentages.

"Multiply the number by 1, expressed as 100/100, to change the number to a fraction with the denominator 100."

Why do you think the author(s) used the number "1" in the quoted sentence?  What purpose does the "1" serve?

I know that any fraction with the same number as the numerator and denominator is equivalent to 1, but I do not quite understand
indicating to multiply by "1".

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: To change a number to a percentage, realize the numbers are in units.
We then multiply by 100%/(1 unit).

For example, if we had .53, which is really .53 units, we would take
(.53 units)(100%/1 unit) = 53% (since the units cancel).

This can be applied to 1/2 to get 50%, 1/5 to get 20%, .46 to get 46%, 1.23 to get 123%, etc.

I want to thank you for the reply.

In your reply, your are dividing by 1 or 1 unit and not multiplying by 1. I do not understand how your reply answers my question.

I thank you for your follow-up reply.

I'm not sure I understand the way the author is trying to explain percentages.
Rather than trying to explain the way he is talking about,
I'll explain what percentage are in a more understandable fashion.

The number 1 is the same as 100%.  In this way, 1% = 0.01, 2% = 0.02, 3% = 0.03, 4% = 0.04,
15% = 0.15, 74% = 0.74, 123% = 1.23, 240% = 2.4, etc.

Percentages are a form of measure.  They are like ounces in a pound or inches in a foot.
There are 16 ounces in a pound and 12 inches in a foot, just like there are 100% in 1.

For example, in weight, 1 lb = 16 oz.
If something was 2 lb., we would multiply by 16 oz. / 1 lb.
Since 2 x 16 = 32, lb./lb. cancel, and we are left with oz., the answer is 32 oz.

There are 12 in. / 1 ft.  If something is 6 ft. tall, then we can take
6 ft. x 12 in. / 1 ft. and get 72.  Note that ft./ft. cancel, and all we are left with is in.
That makes it 72 in. tall.

This can be carried through to percentages.
100% is the same as 1 unit of what is being talked about.
This makes 50% of that be 0.5 units of what is at hand.

Suppose a pool could hold 100,000 gallons.
If we only put in 50,000 gallons, that would be 1/2 full.
In percetages, it could be said to be 50% full since 100*(1/2) = 50.
If the pool has 75,000 gallonsin it, it would be 75% full.
This is because 75,000/100,000 = .75, which is the same as 75%.

If a tree that was being climbed was 50 feet tall, then someone climbing it who was 25 feet up would be said to be 50% of the way to the top since 25 feet is half of 50 feet.
If they were 40 feet up, it is known that 40/50 = 0.8, so that is 80% of the way up.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.