Word Problems/Ratios

I read the following regarding ratios:

"If two quantities cannot be expressed in terms of the same unit, there cannot be a ratio between them."

What is the ratio between 3 jars of pears and 12 jars of pears?

I thank you for your reply.

A ratio is an expression between the quantities.  For the ratio of 3 to 12,
it can be reduced by dividing both terms by 3.  That makes it 1 to 4.

Ratios don't need to measure exactly same thing, but the things they measure need to be related.  In your question, it relates jars of pears to jars of pears.  The things counted don't have to be exactly the same.

For example, the ratio of socks to people is usually 2 to 1,
for each person usually has 2 socks on

The ratio of legs to spiders is 8 to 1, for each spider has 8 legs (unless they lost some).

The ratio of wheels to a car is roughly 4, but there are some cars with less than 4 wheels and some cars with more.  If trucks are included, there are many with 6 wheels.  If semis are included, there are many that have 18 tires.

For example, the ratio of peas to a pod might be roughly 4 to 8, but it can vary.
There might only be 1 or 2 in a pod or as many as a dozen or so.  
As can be seen in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea , the peas there have roughly 8 per pod.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.