Word Problems/Equations

Question
I can't figure out how to pull the equation out of this word problem   Can you help please? Thanx!

Julius has a set of folding chairs. If he arranges them into 5 rows of the same length, he has 2 left over. If he arranges them in 3 rows of the same length, he has 14 left over. How many chairs does he have? Write an equation and solve.

I know there is a total of 32 chairs, but I have to show an equation and just can't get it!

Answer
The question could be written more clearly. It should have stated that ALL of the rows are the same length.
Let n be the total number of chairs, and r the number of chairs in one row.

"If he arranges them into 5 rows of the same length, he has 2 left over."
n = 5r + 2

"If he arranges them in 3 rows of the same length, he has 14 left over."
n = 3r + 14

5r + 2 = 3r + 14
2r = 12
r = 6
n = 5r + 2 = 32
Each row has 6 chairs.
There are 32 chairs.

Word Problems

Janet Yang