Word Problems/Word problems

Question
Ann deposited money into two accounts,A and B. Account A earns 5%simple annual interest and  account B earns 8% aimple annual interest. If there were no other transactions in the tow accounts, then the amount of interest that account B earned in the first year was how many dollars greater than the amount of interest account A earned in the 1at year.

1)Ann deposited $200 more in account B than in account A

2)The total amount of interest that the two accounts earned in the first year was $120.00

-Can You solve this and say whether 1)and / or 2) are sufficient or not sufficient enough to answer the question.

Thank you

Answer
Both (1) and (2) are required to solve the problem.

For the money in A, the interest was at 5% and
for the money in B, the interest was at 8%.

Let x be put in A.  What (1) says is that in B is x+200.

What (2) says is that .05x + .08(x+200) = 120.

Multiplying and adding the x terms converts it to .13x + 16 = 120.

Subtracting 16 from both sides gives .13x = 104.

Dividing both sides by .13 gives x = 104/.13 = 800.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson