Word Problems/Per Year & For 1 Year

What is the difference between interest per year and interest for 1 year?

Here is an example:  6%/year X $600.00 = $36/year ($36 per year)

1/4 of one year of this amount is one-fourth year times $36.00/year.

The amount is $9.00 for one fourth year even though the year units have canceled. It's not $9.00 for 1/4 per year is it?

Can you clarify?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: The interest rate for 1 year is the total interest paid in that year.
The interest per year is computed by dividing the interest rate for 1 year into smaller blocks and multiplying it together.

For example, 6% per year is really .5% per month and calculated 12 times during the year.  
The 6% interest rate for one year really is 6.168% interest rate when you compute (1.005)^12 - 1.

If it was 6% per year computed quarterly, divide this by 4 and raise it to the 4 to get the effect.  That is, since 1.5% is 1/4 of 6%, 1.15^4 - 1 is the actual interest for 1 year.
It turns out to really be 6.136% per year.

I want to thank you for your reply.

I am referring to simple interest.  Is what you indicated in your first reply for simple interest?  It appears to be what occurs with compound interest.

I thank you for your follow-up reply.

In that case, the answer is correct.  As far as the question at the start, they both mean the same thing.  If the interest rate is 6% simple interest, then that could be 3% simple interest twice a year, 1.5% simple interest 4 times a year, .5% 12 times a year, or anything else where the interest times the number of times per year is 6%.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.