Word Problems/Comparing Fractions

Is there a different method to compare fractions to determine which is larger than the other?

Here are two methods that I am aware of:

1. Convert the fractions to decimals and then compare the decimals.

2. Convert the denominators of the fractions to the same number then compare the denominators.

Is there a third possibility?

I thank you for your reply.

I don't know of any other way.

One thing to note: If the denominator has prime factors of 2 or 5, it converts to a number with a finite number of digits.  If there are other prime factors in the denominator, there will be an infinite number of digits in decimal format.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.