Word Problems/Fractions

I have a two-part question:

1. Is 1/2 the largest fraction possible with (1) one as its numerator?

2. What is the closest fraction to the number 1?

I thank you for your reply.

1. If there is a 1 in the numerator, 1/2 is the closest fraction to 1.

2. There is no closest fraction to 1, and here's a proof.
Suppose we had m/n as the closest fraction that was less than 1.
That means we have n in the denominator and m < n in the numerator.

If m < n-1, then (m+1)/n is closer, so what we thought was the closets wasn't.

Now this argument can be applied until m = n-1, so we have the new fraction,
(n-1)/n as the closest fraction to 1.

If we add 1 to the numerator and denominator, we get n/(n+1).

If we take n/(n+1) - (n-1)/n, we need to have a common denominator.

Multiply the 1st by n/n and the 2nd by (n+1)/(n+1).
That makes our fraction nē/[n(n+1)] - n(n-1)/[n(n+1)].
They can now be combined into (nē - n(n-1))/[n(n+1)].

Multiplying out the n(n-1) gives nē-n, and when that is subtracted from nē, the result is n.
We now have n/[n(n+1)].

It is known that n/n is 1, so what we have left is 1/(n+1).
Since n is positive, the fraction is positive, so whatever we had for the largest number,
(n-1)/n, is not the largest, for we can add 1/(n+1) to it and get a fraction even closer to 1.

No matter what n is chosen, a closer fraction can be found,
which says there is no fraction that is closest to 1.

As an example, suppose we had 18/35. Clearly 19/35 is closer, but 20/35 is closer, but 21/35 is closer, ... up to 34/35 is pretty close, for it is 1/35 away from 1.

If we take 35/36, that is only 1/36 away from 1, so it is closer yet.  This could be repeated, for 999/1000 is only 1/1000 away from 1, but 9,999/10,000 is only 1/10,000 away from one.

That's pretty close, but we could take 99,999/100,000 and be even closer since that is only 1/100,000 away from 1.

Adding one more digit to the numerator (a nine) and one more digit to the denominator (a 0) puts a even closer, and this can be done indefinitely.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.