Word Problems/How do i calculate the following problem

Hi Scott

A lecturer ears R150 per session. The person lectures 18 sessions per week at campus AchieveBsc and 5 sessions per week at campus SureLearn. He only works 3.5 weeks per month, 9 months per year. How much will he/she earn per year?

There are 18+5 sessions / week, 3.5 weeks / month, and 9 months / year that the person works.
Multiplying those will cancel weeks and cancel months, leaving sessions / year.

Since 18+5 = 23, we take 23 and multiply by 3.5, getting 80.5.
We then take 80.5 and multiply it by 9, giving = 724.5.

Now on the math side, we just take 724.5 * R150 and get R108,675.

When looking at the reality of the problem, it seems that 3.5 weeks on 18 sessions gives 63,
but 3.5 sessions per week at 3.5 weeks could give 17 or 18.  This leads to an actual wage of
R108,000 or R109,350.

Word Problems

Scott A Wilson

I have answered every question that was a story problems that had any relation to math for which an answer existed. I have ever answered some questions which had a vague relation to math, but still related.

My experience is from when I started doing story problems in grade school. I have been assisting, helping, and bringing smiles to many others ever since. Are you the next one?

In over 850 questions answered to other users. Maybe you're the next one ...

I received a BA in Mathematical Sciences from OSU and a MS in Mathematics from OSU as well.

I earned Both my BS degree and MS degree with honors for having such a high grade point average.

I have answered hundreds and hundreds of students at OSU in the 80's and over 8,500 questions right here, but only a little over 850 of them have been word problems.