Word Problems/Help

Water runs into a conical tank (pointy part facing downward) at the rate of 12 ft^3/minute. The tank stands down and has a height of 12 ft. and a base radius of 6 ft. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 10 ft deep?

The tank is an inverted cone with height of 12 ft and radius of 6 ft.
The water in the tank is the shape of a cone with height h, radius r, and volume V.
dV/dt = 12 ft/minute
The water and tank are similar cones, so r = h/2.

V = ⅓πrh = πh/12
dV/dh = πh/4

dV/dt = dV/dh dh/dt
12 = πh/4 dh/dt
dh/dt = 48/(πh)

When h = 10, dh/dt = 48/π10 ≅ 0.153 ft/minute.

Word Problems

Janet Yang

Word problems are my favorite type of math questions! I would not feel comfortable answering questions that require specialized knowledge (Physics, Statistics, etc.) because I have not studied these in depth.

I tutor students (fifth through twelfth grades) and am a Top Contributor on Yahoo!Answers with over 24,000 math solutions.

Co-author of An Outline of Scientific Writing: For Researchers With English as a Foreign Language.

I have a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics from the University of California at Berkeley, and a Master of Business Administration degree from The Wharton School.

George White Elementary School. Homework Help program at the Ridgewood Public Library, Ridgewood, NJ. Individual students.